Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Test Results

So when I have been jokingly telling people that I am too old to get pregnant because my eggs are all shriveled up, I guess isn't too far from the truth. I spoke to Dr. Heiner about my test results and this is what it comes down to:

1. My egg quantity and quality are low. This is determined by giving me chlomid and drawing my blood day 10 of my cycle to test my FSH (follicle stimulationg hormone). My FSH level was high which is how they know about my poor egg quality and quantity.

2. My hysterosalpingogram showed some narrowing of my fallopian tubes and possible scar tissue on my right fallopian tube. The dye that they shoot up did not follow the normal pattern on the right side which could be due to some congenital abnormality, scar tissue, or endometriosis. We ruled out endometriosis because I don't have any of the symptoms. Scar tissue usually develops after you have had surgery. The only places I have had surgery are my eyes and toes. The furthest things away from my girly parts.

3. Dr. Heiner suggests that in order to get pregnant we will need to bypass my tubes. This is done with IVF (In Vitro Fertilization). Due to my eggs, the chances of IVF working would be about 20-25% Some places will actually guarantee IVF treatment until you get pregnant. They can't do this with me because of my high FSH. IVF for four treatment cycles is around $25,000.

So, I really am too old and my eggs suck. I never thought I would have trouble conceiving because my mom was fertile myrtle. Lane and I are going to discuss what we want to do and make an appointment with Dr. Heiner in a couple weeks. I am nervous that if we decide to do IVF that it will take years to get pregnant, IF I get pregnant, and that I will be too old by then. Dr. Heiner said aging will only keep decreasing my quality of eggs. I told Lane we could just adopt a few more cats, but he said children are better than cats. Yes, he is right! I am so discourgaed and numb!

10 comments:

Jill, Wes, and Andy said...

No matter what, we love you and will always support you!

Thressa said...

I have no words thst you have not said or had said to you. Just know that I love you and sending you all the hugs i can. Remember that our human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. You are in my heart my dear friend.

Slaters said...

hang in there...I am sorry that the news was not what you hoped. I wish you the best.

Brandie said...

You are such a great person Katherine! I love you and will keep in my prayers!

Nancy said...

Keep the faith! The Lord will bless you in His own way. Love ya!

Sherion said...

Well sister, you better get to it. I fyou really want children, you will have them one way or the other. Keep praying, and if it gets too hard remember many people are doing it for you. Including me.

EMILEE said...

HANG IN THERE, I KNOW IT HARD, BOTH YOU AND LANE, WILL ONE DAY LOOK BACK AND BE GLAD FOR YOUR TRIALS, THE LORD WILL BLESS YOU, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND KNOW THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE THAT ARE PULLING FOR YOU.

Chelle said...

My vote is to go for it, Katherine! It only takes one little embryo to implant. I have had so many friends with similar situations and miracles really can happen! Remember who is in charge!!! It's a big decision, though, I know from personal experience and expense! I'd love to talk. I'll call you soon. You're in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Katherine!
Take care
Dave Leavitt

Our Family said...

Hang in there! We love you!