Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I have a plan

I had a really good talk with my friend Jill today. I seem to have wonderful clarity about life when I am talking with her. She understands how fragile life is. She knows what is important in life and she doesn't take anything for granted. I had an "a-ha" moment today talking with her about what I need to do.

Let me explain..... I thought I had pretty much given up on having children. I will tell you why..... sigh, sniffle..sniffle.....I am almost 35 years old and I want to be a mother more than anything. I have seen three or four different male OBGYN's during our marriage and I have expressed to them my frustration with not getting pregnant. Lane and I have been married for seven years, five of them have been without any birth control. In a nutshell, ALL of them have told me that my fertility chances would increase if I lost weight. Ummm...OK, let me just conquer my lifetime challenge with over-eating before my eggs shrivel up because it's so easy...NOT!!

Only ONE of the doctor's checked to see if Mr. sperm could swim, that was years ago. Luckily, Lane received some the great news that his little Michael Phelps were swimming. Mind you, I had to talk my doctor into this. What did he check on me? He drew my blood to see if I ovulated that month. That is it. I don't even know if my plumbing is normal. So on goes the story, I go get a 2nd and 3rd opinion, and no one seemed to want to do anything.Is every male OBGYN a fat chic hater? I did take chlomid and glucophage for a while, but then I fell off that band wagon because that OBGYN moved his practice to Bountiful. So, I go see Dr. Heiner last year at the million dollar clinic in Sandy and he told me the same thing. He suggested that I spend money on gastric bypass or lapband surgery and "invest" in my future that way. He said he was more than happy to help me figure out why I wasn't getting pregnant, but thought it was mainly due to my weight. That was hard to hear. He said that losing weight would increase my fertility chances. Please don't hate him, it is very true that carrying a child while obese is very difficult on ones body. It's risky. But what I like to say to make me feel better "fat women have babies all the time". I will never forget getting into my car after that appointment. I've never cried so hard in my life. I couldn't drive, I couldn't even make sense when I called Lane on the telephone. I scheduled Lapband surgery for January 8, 2009. I canceled it...even longer story.

So since this experience Lane and I haven't really talked about having children. We have filled out adoption papers twice before, but it didn't feel right at the time, so we've never turned them in. I tell myself that I like our lifestyle and I will be okay if we don't have children. Yeah right, who am I kidding? I tell myself and others that I am too old. Hell, I will be 35 this summer. Oh please, my mother pushed out a ten pound monster when she was 40 years old. I love you Jason, more than you will ever know!

Okay, so I will get to the meat of this post. When I was talking to Jill today I realized that I need to do something about this child thing, because as my Dad likes to tell me with complete love "you're no spring chicken". I keep telling Lane that I am going to get pregnant this year. I believe in the power of positive thinking. So, this is what we are going to do. Lane and I are going to visit with Dr. Heiner at the million dollar clinic. In complete hindsite, I liked Dr. Heiner. He is honest and told me what I needed to hear. I have lost 30 pounds since my visit with him last year, knowing darn well that that is just the beginning. But it's a start. I can do this. I am going to tell him that I will continue to lose weight, but he needs to start up some testing. I am completely willing to do what he wants me to do. If he wants me to get to a certain weight, I will. But as my clock is ticking I want to grow old without any regrets. If I don't find out why we haven't gotten pregnant, I will regret it. I know, I know........I need to stop being so frigid, that would help. I need to take my mother's advice before I got married. I won't repeat it, cuz she would just die!!!

That's my plan. I am going to demand that we figure this out. I want to be tested, I need to know. I am your pin cushin Dr. Heiner. Thanks for letting me tell you my plan. I am excited about it, I feel good about it, and of course Lane is excited. I think every husbands favorite thing to hear is "let's try for a baby".

Now I realize that sometime's the Lord's answer is NO. I feel wanting to be a mother is a righteous desire. I am going to do everything I can to better my life, to prepare myself. I will take it one day at a time and stay optimistic. At the end of this I will not have any regrets. Maybe Lane and I will even be blessed with a child who will melt our hearts on a daily basis. Maybe I will know one day what a mother's love for her own child feels like. That is what I want. I want to share my love with a perfect piece of heaven.

14 comments:

Jill, Wes, and Andy said...

You can do it, I know it! I will always be there to support you.

Shalise said...

Oh! Katherine, you know how much I just LOVE you.. Your such an awesome person. I have been lucky to know you!
You can do this I know you can. There are SO many people rallying in your corner come walk with me at nights- I will help however I can, just hang in there.
The tests etc. are a bumpy ride but you have been through the bumps in a different way...

Brandie said...

Love you Katherine! Good luck. I know you will be blessed!

Deidra said...

I know a thing or two about infertility and I feel for you. It is soooo hard and exhausting! I too have seen Dr. Heiner, he must be famous around these parts. I wish you luck and blessings and hope that all goes well for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Cute post Katherine! You are amazing and I can sense your strength - you can do this! Good luck, you two will be in our thoughts and prayers! :)

Jessie said...

You are an amazing person. So strong and positive! I will be here for in for anything you need! I will scare off the trainers at the gym that like to targe the "Husky" girls. (as my pts family member so lovingly called me. )

kelly said...

i just need you to know how grateful i am for you - blessing my little dallin in ways you will never know. all this goodness comes back - i know it...

EMILEE said...

KATHERINE, HANG IN THERE, THE LORD WILL HELP BOTH OF YOU AT THIS HARD PART IN YOUR LIFE, I KNOW I HAVE BEEN THERE, IF YOU EVER NEED TO TALK JUST LET ME KNOW, STAY STRONG YOUR DAY WILL COME, YOU WILL BE A GREAT MOM!!! LOVE EMILEE OLIVER

Sherion said...

Katherine, my prayers are with you. You'll be a great mom! Sometimes we just never know why we have to go through the struggles we face in this life. Heavenly Father loves you and has a plan for all of us. I know as well as anyone, it's not always what we want at the time. You'll get through this and be better for it. Thanks for being such a good sister-in-law and a wonderful aunt to my children. They love you and so do I.

Nancy said...

Hey Katherine! Love the blog! As far as the whole baby thing, I definitely feel your pain. We've been trying for almost 2 years, have had 2 miscarriages and no full term babies. I was also told by a doctor if I would lose 10% of my body weight, I would get pregnant. It's never an easy thing to hear. I'm here for you if you ever need to chat. :]

Emily said...

I'm sure this won't surprise you, but you made me cry! I hope everything went well today. Good luck! I know you will be a wonderful mom.

Kwista-fin said...

Hey Katherine, I will pray today, and tell HF that I want you to have my kids. :-) I mean it!! Love and laughter to both you and Lane.

Thressa said...

K-
I love you sweetie. You are so wonderful and I'm lucky to call you friend

Chelle said...

Katherine...bless your heart! I can empathize with you! I was 35 when I finally got pregnant with Isaac so don't give up HOPE! You will realize your dreams one day! Your positive attitude and strong desire to have children is your greatest ally! You go girl!!!